Very seldom do we immediately see the connection of designer-to-designs, but in the case with Harlyn designer Maria Stanley, we completely see the quirky-cuteness that exudes from both. We did a quickie Q&A with Maria to get a little more insight behind the blossoming brand and everything that inspires it.
I wish I had a crazy cool story, but honestly, it was tossed around in a brainstorming email thread. Harlyn popped out at me, it was love at first sight.
2. How did you get started with your own brand?
Years of dreaming, thousands of hours of hard work, and a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity given to me by some really amazing people from the company behind Harlyn.
3. Describe the Harlyn girl in 5 words:
Babe, sweet, eccentric, clever, and effortless.
4. What kind of girl do you have in mind when you design?
There?s not one girl in particular. I think all girls, and everything about being a girl is just fantastic. You can keep it modest with Harlyn, or go all-out print and color crazy. There?s something for everyone!
5. What is your personal style and how does it reflect in your collection?
Harlyn is very reminiscent of my own personal style. We both march to the beat of our own drum, at times we?re a little off-beat and quirky, but we always manage to keep it put together without trying too hard. However, I tend to fall into a puddle of black, while Harlyn is all about the color.
6. Are there other designers, artists, or celebrities, etc that inspire your design aesthetic?
Miuccia Prada of Miu Miu is my idol. Sofia Coppola is a genius.Clémence Poésy is the cutest.
7. What are some Summer trends you are excited about?
Pajama-chic, I?m envisioning printed silk trousers with crop tops. I?ll also be rocking overalls of all types and sizes.
8. What would you never be caught wearing?
Apple bottom jeans, boots with the fur.
9. Your favorite piece of clothing, ever?
A 1940?s black velvet caplet with a ruffle collar that I scored at a thrift store in Minnesota where I grew up. It is my everything.
10. What's playing on your iPod?
Smoke Detector by Rilo Kiley is currently playing in the background. Jenny Lewis is my jam.
11. If you weren't a designer, what would you be?
A professional dog snuggler.
12. One thing you never leave home without:
My antique rings passed down to me from my fabulous mama.